Affected by a railway accident? Here’s what you need to know
Anyone affected by these accidents may qualify to claim for compensation from PRASA, the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa and the South African state-owned enterprise responsible for most passenger rail services in the country. Therefore, any incidents involving Metrorail, Transnet and Shosholoza Meyl would be claimed against PRASA.
Here’s what you need to know if you have been affected by a railway accident
- Your claim is a civil claim and therefore you have up to 3 years to lodge your claim
- You will need to provide as much detail as possible about what happened.
a. Date of accident
b. Time of accident
c. Place of accident
d. Any other details about the incident
- You will need to produce proof of being a passenger on the train i.e. provide your train ticket.
- If you have photographic or video evidence, that could help you too.
- You may be tempted to go direct to PRASA for your claim, but you will be far better off being represented by an attorney who is well versed in the process.
At Gert Nel Inc Attorneys, we don’t just represent you, we assist you all the way.
With our years of experience dealing with traumatised individuals we appreciate what people are going through and treat each and every client with due respect and care. We are able to advise you on all aspects of the process and we keep you updated every step of the way either telephonically or via our app depending on each individual’s preference. If a client is based in a remote location, we will find a way to get there.